Root Vegetable Bisque Recipe
from Chef Amalia Scatena of Cannon Green, Charleston, SC
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Harissa spice
4 ounces butter
2 rutabaga, medium diced
2 parsnips, medium diced
2 turnips, medium diced
2 carrots, medium diced
2 sweet potatoes,medium diced
2 green apples,medium diced
2 white onions,medium diced
1 head of garlic, minced
2 cups dry white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup maple syrup
2 cups heavy cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toss pumpkin seeds with olive oil and Harissa spice. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
3. Melt 4 ounces butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add all vegetables and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Deglaze pot with white wine then add enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
5. Pour vegetables with liquid into a blender and puree until smooth.
6. Pour soup back into pot and season with salt and pepper and maple syrup. Add heavy cream if desired. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Photo by Anne Rhett Photography